The Division carries out research, development and qualification of materials, components, devices and related manufacturing and integration processes in complex systems, promoting process and product innovation.
The division is present on the Italian territory in 6 of ENEA’s research centers with a staff of 115 units and recently launched further activities in the new ENEA Laboratory at “Kilometro Rosso” Innovation District in Bergamo.
- ADDITIVE MANUFACTURING AND 3D PRINTING. Development of polymeric, ceramic, composite, metallic materials and biomaterials and related 3D direct deposition techniques, also through the recovery of processing waste (powders and scraps). Preparation of powders and filaments for wire printing. Densification by hot isostatic pressing. Application of research products to transport, health, space and energy.
- COMPOSITE MATERIALS. Development of: lightweight materials for transportation with reduced environmental impact based on virgin and recycled carbon fibres and ceramic materials for braking systems; heat-resistant composite materials based on basalt fibres; integration with intermediate products from spinning techniques (non-woven fabric made with carbon fibres).
- DEVELOPMENT OF POLYMERIC DEVICES AND DIGITAL PRINTING TECHNOLOGIES. Realization of photoactive and electroactive organic devices for domestic lighting, smart windows and solar energy, based on organic materials that can be processed at low temperatures and with limited use of raw materials. Integration of these materials with digital printing techniques (inkjet, offset, gravure, etc.).
- ELEMENTARY MATERIALS AND DEVICES FOR ENERGY. Demonstrator materials and devices for converting heat into electricity (according to the thermoelectric and pyroelectric effect); turbine and burner components made for AM; ionic liquids, electrolytes and other thin film materials, composite battery cases, organic solar cells.
- CHEMICAL AND PHYSICAL ANALYSES AND TESTS ON MATERIALS AND COMPONENTS. Development of complete and innovative test methodologies, for materials and components. Equipments for specific analyses: XPS, optical and electron microscopy, visible and NIR spectroscopy, mechanical and thermo-mechanical tests, ultrasounds, thermography, X-ray tomography, tribology, elemental analyses. Development of ad-hoc characterization methods based on the integration of optical components. •
- AEROSPACE. Devices and related diagnostic technologies for monitoring aircraft engines air quality and emissions; 3D fabrication techniques and components welding for aerospace and related 3D ultrasonic testing methods; application of 3D printing to aerospace components manufacture.
Facilities and platforms: Surface Analysis, Functional Characterization of Advanced Sensors, Optical, Electrical, Thermal and Mechanical Characterization, Physical Deposition of Thin Layers and Functional Treatments, X-Ray Diffractometry, Electron Microscopy, Chemical Synthesis of Polymeric Materials and Composites, Microstructural Characterization, Mechanochemistry, Synthesis and Chemical Characterization, High Energy density heat treatments, Materials and devices characterization, Digital printing of materials in solution, Additive manufacturing, Chemicalphysical characterization for materials and process development, Materials characterization and component qualification, Mechanical processing and Rapid prototyping, Composite materials development, Powder development, advanced ceramics and coatings, Development of manufacturing processes for ceramic components. The most important technology platforms: Open Infrastructure for 3D printing of advanced materials for aerospace and health (MAIA), Clean room for photolithography and realization of electronic devices and light sources, Distributed network of AM equipment (13 machines), Integrated carbon fibres spinning system; Equipment for the realization of industrial demonstrators in composite material.